Monday, May 10, 2010

It was good it was in your heart....


1 Kings 8:17 "Now it was in the heart of my father David to build a house for the name of the LORD, the God of Israel. 18 "But the LORD said to my father David, 'Because it was in your heart to build a house for My name, you did well that it was in your heart. 19 'Nevertheless you shall not build the house, but your son who will be born to you, he will build the house for My name.'

This morning the Father breathed into my consciousness the words "It was good it was in your heart."

I have been struggling with many issues in which it seems I can do nothing to change. This is a place I am not used to. I have always felt that we can do something - especially since God is here to help.

David was a man of action as well. The words I heard this morning come from what God said to him when he wanted to give the Lord a place of honor. He looked around at the prosperity he had come to and was so thankful that he wanted to build God a house of worship. God said no. But he also told him that it was a good thing that he had the desire to do it.

There is an old saying that I heard often when I was a child. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." It left a lasting impression on me. While it is true that intentions are not always enough, it is also true that God looks out our hearts before our actions.

When I was young and thought it was a simple thing to see the world transformed I believed "actions spoke louder than words." But as I have come to understand that not everything can be solved, resolved, fixed or even altered by my actions I have also come to understand that sometimes my heart's desire is enough for God. And sometimes words of love, assurance, comfort and care for someone going through something they nor I can change are all I have to share my heart.

The Ancient Serenity Prayer used by Alcoholics Anonymous contains this balance of wisdom. 



God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.




The temptation to bitterness when we find ourselves unable to change our, or others circumstances is enormous. 

We can be overtaken with discouragement so deep that we may feel we cannot bear life.

In our powerlessness we can even grow to hate ourselves for our perceived inadequacy.

I believe this is why the prayer is so central to the recovery process in the Twelve Step programs. Bitterness and depression are major triggers for substance abuse.

Unless we can admit our powerlessness in the face of unchangeable circumstances we will never be able to walk through the healing process of grief.

Unless we understand that even our best efforts to help others may result in only a partial change we may be decide that no action to help is the best course. 

And when nothing can be done we need to know that having the heart of the saviour is enough for God. 





No comments: