Monday, May 3, 2010

All Creation Longs for His Return

Romans 8:16-23 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. 18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

We are saved, We are being saved and we will be saved.

This is the fullness of salvation. Error always creeps in when we do not remember this.

We were saved spiritually when we surrendered to Jesus and let him take his place as the only one who could save us and the ruler of our hearts.
 
John 3:13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

We are being saved in our soul (mind, will and emotions) as we follow him through his word written in scripture and breathed from heaven by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:13
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
 
We will be saved physically when he returns to change our mortal bodies into immortal ones.

1 Corinthians 15:51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

Though we have a part to play by believing, Jesus is the one who does all these things in us. He is the life giver:
 
1 Corinthians 15:45
So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being" ; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.

This morning as I was meditating one these things I could almost hear the groaning inside myself that Romans 8:22-23 spoke of earlier.

For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

Every year about this time my beloved returns to her homeland. She loves Holland and would most likely live there if she was not hindered by all the relationships she has here..... 7 kids, a husband, a mother (who goes with her every year), an extended family and friends beyond counting.)

She is very happy here but something of her is always looking forward to going to her real home. The closer she gets to the day she leaves the more excited she is. She tells me that she will miss me but I always tell her. "Not like I will miss you."

You see I am happy here too but mostly because she is with me. The closer the day of her departure comes the less excited I am.

This is much like our experience of heaven. Part of us is always thinking about the day it will come. Part of us lives in the joys and sorrows of our present life. The divide between the two leaves us longing in two directions. Paul understood this:

Philippians 1:20 according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 24 Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.

This morning as I was longing to see my beloved's smile I thought about the longing in my soul to see Jesus. At times it is something I think about wistfully and remember that one day I will but not yet. Other times I long for it more than any other desire I have.

The Bible tells us that we who are believers are not the only ones that long for his return. The whole of creation is groaning in longing.....

That longing may be there because of the difficulty of our lives. My longing is most acute not because I am looking for an escape but because my heart is filled with a desire simply to see him.

As the years have gone by since I first gave my life to him the longing has increased. And I have seen that the more I have grown to love him the greater is has become.

Like lovers separated for a long time when we feel an ache thinking about our being separated. There comes a moment though as the day of reunion grows closer when we no longer think about the day we were parted but our focus is on the day of our being reunited. Our emotions turn from sadness to Joy. Amazingly the longer we have been apart the more Joy we feel in considering our coming together again. This is the way it is with the return of the Lord.

As the creation gets closer to the moment he returns our groaning turns from a desire to be delivered to a joyful expectancy in which we can hardly wait for the day of his appearing. And it is not just us that feels that way, all of creation is in anticipation of the arrival of their beloved creator.

2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

No comments: