Monday, March 22, 2010

No Good Thing Withheld


Psalm 84:11
For the LORD God is a sun and shield;The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

This promise is precious! 

The Father whispered it to me this morning and I have been meditating on it since.

God withholding something from us tells us either one of two things. Both are gifts of His grace.

He will withhold something from us that is good for us because we are not walking uprightly.

He will withhold something from us because it is not good for us.

Outside of those two conditions nothing will be withheld from us.

What a promise!

In our age we get uneasy when people start to talk about walking uprightly. We can be suspicious that they are trying to cast us in their mold of what uprightly is. We are suspicious that their intentions may be self serving. Much of the time we are right. Every now and then however, God would like to be able to say to us that we are not walking in a way that is good for us. When we listen we find that far from being a destructive or binding thing we are liberated - we are being set free!

1 Peter 2:16
Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.

Freedom always come through taking responsibility. Freedom is not being able to do anything we want. That will always lead us to bondage. Freedom is given to those who use it responsibly. I have the freedom to go into my friend's house because I will not do things in his house that are wrong. If I do not walk uprightly my friend will rightly remove my freedom.

I once had a man who visited me often. He claimed he was a friend. I thought he was for a time. Then I noticed that things went missing from my home every time he was there. One very precious thing I had was a Bible that was given to me. It was precious primarily because of who gave it to me. One evening when he was at my house he had been looking at it, commented on how nice it was and read in it a few minutes. It disappeared that night. I asked him later if he had put it somewhere. He said he laid it down on the table it was on and never touched it again. A few weeks later I went to where he was staying by chance and when I come into his living room there was my Bible. I picked it up and said it was mine. He said it was given to him by a friend and that I was wrong to accuse him of taking it. I opened it up to where I knew it had been signed by the one who gave it to me. There it was in black and white but he said the person who gave it to him must have stole it. I asked him to tell me who gave it to him and he said he would not tell me because if I confronted him it would ruin their friendship. He never came to my home again. Not because I rejected him or told him that he could not come. His conscience would not let him. He lost the freedom to have me as a friend due to his not walking in an upright manner.

Imagine that everything good that there is can be ours. Nothing withheld. No lack. Nothing good held back. Everything good supplied!

If we are walking uprightly we can know beyond doubt that everything in our lives is the good that God wants us to have. 

Romans 8:32
He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?

There is such security in this promise. What is required? Walking uprightly. What is granted..... everything that is good.

2 Peter 1:2-4 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3 seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.


Everything pertaining to life and godliness...... everything!


Through knowing Him.


That is walking uprightly. Walking in His Spirit. Walking in His ways. Walking in Him!

No comments: