Monday, March 1, 2010

Let Peace Rule

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.
                        Colossians 3:15

In this scripture I found a wonderful way to find God's will.

It is a very simple principle. God's peace is to rule our lives. For me this means when I am walking in confusion, animosity, torment, anxiety or any other of a myriad of emotions that are not founded in God's peace, I can me sure what I do will not bring forth God's plan.

Conversely, when I take these emotions to God and do spiritual warfare over them to bring them into captivity to God's peace I will act in a more Christ like way which will bring forth much better outcomes.

In a very practical way this establishes a place I know I must go first before I can do anything and expect it to be God's will.

For instance:

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
                                    Philippians 4:6

I find that when I am anxious I don't take the time to pray through my decisions or my actions..... I have to do something...... But I can't hear God's still small voice above the noise of my own anxieties. When I war against these anxieties with the Word of God and bring them into submission to His peace I then can hear God's voice again.

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
                         2 Corinthians 10:5

While there are other aspects of spiritual warfare, I find this is the most important for me.

We see the Old Testament wars and wonder, "What relevance they have to us today?" They certainly are not the pattern we are to follow in our relationships. I prayed for many years to understand what they are to represent to us now. I found some wonderful answers which I will share at another time but this area was one of the most profound. We must war as strongly against wrong emotions, desires and thoughts in ourselves as they did against their human enemies. The human enemies are less deadly than our internal ones.

As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
                                   Amos 5:19

The lion and the bear are in places where we are on guard. We are ready to face them. The serpent bites us when we are in our house. We are not guarding ourselves there. We don't expect to be harmed in the safety of our dwelling. But that is where the most damage is done.

Keeping our hearts and minds in Jesus is the most important battle of our lives. It is a daily, moment by moment wrestling. Having the victory in our emotions and thoughts has amazing rewards. Being defeated in them is surely suffering the serpent's bite. As Moses lifted up the bronze serpent, so Jesus was lifted up to heal us from the serpent's ravages. But to keep from being bit by having the mind of Christ is far better.

But we have the mind of Christ.
                        1 Corinthians 2:16b

One of the most important weapons to keep our minds and emotions in line with the Lord is His Peace.

And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
                          Philippians 4:7

Hudson Taylor, the apostle the mainland of China and the founder of the work of God that still flourishes there today, knew the necessity of this peace.

H. B. Mcartney once visited him and found that this peace was real. He wrote about it later.

“I am in the study, you are in the big spare room,” I said to Mr. Taylor at length. “You are occupied with millions, I with tens. Your letters are pressingly important, mine of comparatively little moment. Yet I am worried and distressed, while you are always calm. Do tell me what makes the difference.”

“My dear Macartney,” he replied, “the peace you speak of is in my case more than a delightful privilege, it is a necessity.”

He said most emphatically, “I could not possibly get through the work I have to do without the peace of God ‘which passeth all understanding’ keeping my heart and mind.”

You can read the whole story here: http://path2prayer.com/article.php?id=809

Hudson said when he came to a decision that he was unsure of God's will he would first pray until he had no personal opinion about the decision. Then he would seek God's will alone on the issue. The constant principle of what scripture teaches was, of course, the first place of guidance for him as it needs to be with us. The second principle was peace. If he had no peace about a certain direction he would not move until he did.

I have found this pattern to be absolutely lifegiving to me. It has always led me to a place of great confidence God was directing my path. When I have followed it I have spared myself and many others much grief. When I have not heeded it I have inflicted torment on my own and other's souls.

I have set a purpose in my soul to follow God's peace at all costs. I know I will never regret it.

1 comment:

nem said...

God's timing is impeccable! As I was reading Psalm 5 this morning, I pondered what in my life might correlate to the enemies that so plagued the Psalmist. Then I read your blog, and voila!! The emotions that block God's peace are precisely the enemies over whom we need to take control and vanquish with prayer. Leonard, I greatly appreciate your gracious wisdom and your Spirit-empowered ability to illumiinate God's word and the Christian life. Thank you for teaching and blessing me today. K