Saturday, March 13, 2010

He will never leave.....


Deuteronomy 31 

1 Then Moses went out and spoke these words to all Israel: 2 "I am now a hundred and twenty years old and I am no longer able to lead you. The LORD has said to me, 'You shall not cross the Jordan.' 3 The LORD your God himself will cross over ahead of you. He will destroy these nations before you, and you will take possession of their land. Joshua also will cross over ahead of you, as the LORD said. 4 And the LORD will do to them what he did to Sihon and Og, the kings of the Amorites, whom he destroyed along with their land. 5 The LORD will deliver them to you, and you must do to them all that I have commanded you. 6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.



What a promise to be given. So many people have been taught that the Old Testament is only about a negative legalistic law based religion. That is about as far from the truth as one can get. 

It took several years for me to understand this myself. I was so indoctrinated against the Old Testament that even when I read small parts of it I found my mind had been poisoned to what it meant. 

The first time I read the whole Bible I was shocked by what I found in the Old Testament. I found the same grace being poured out as I found in the New Testament.

God keeps His word. This is one of the most important facts (doctrines) of life. God does not change. He does not change His mind. When I began to read the Old Testament with faith this was so, I had to drive out a lot of teaching that was false. 

The most important false concept I had to cast out was the church had taken the place of Israel. I was taught that God had no further dealings with Israel after she rejected Jesus. 

When God speaks to Israel making promises to her He will keep them forever.  He will never forget Israel:

Isaiah 44:21

 21 "Remember these things, O Jacob,
       for you are my servant, O Israel.
       I have made you, you are my servant;
       O Israel, I will not forget you.

 Isaiah 49:15
 "Can a woman forget her nursing child
         And have no compassion on the son of her womb?
         Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.
    16"Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;
         Your walls are continually before Me. 

Jeremiah 31:35-36

 35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: 36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

In fact the very foundation of our faith as Christians rests on God keeping His word to Israel. If He does not keep it to them how can we expect Him to keep it for us? 

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

We must never think that God has abandoned His ancient people. He has not. He will not...... ever.

Until there is no more sun, moon or stars....
Until the scars on the hands of Jesus are removed......
Until eternity is over......

He will never leave or forsake His people Israel, nor will He leave or forsake us.

Romans 11

1I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! . . . 12Now if their transgression is riches for the world and their failure is riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their fulfillment be! 13But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them. 15For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?


No comments: