Friday, March 2, 2012

Overcoming the Great Enemy of Resentment - Making Melody in Our Hearts

So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father;
Ephesians 5:17-20 (NASB)

Today as I was meditating on some of the issues that steal away the life of our soul I was struck by how many of us  allow low levels of resentment to poison us. No it does not kill us. But what it does do is steal away our creativity, energy, passion and makes sure that we do things in a reserved half hearted way.

What do I mean when I use the word resentment?  It is a mixture of unthankfulness, resistance and a muttering in our souls about how wrong or unfulfilling or unimportant most of the tasks of our lives are as we do them.

Very few of us really understand that, as our scripture tells us that we are commanded to "know" what the will of the Lord is in our lives. I believe that not understanding His will is where most resentment begins. I think you know exactly what I mean. We get captured in our hearts by an idea that God's will is some very amazing existence where we are heroes or saints distributing great love, insight, intelligence, wisdom or heavenly beauty to people who are so grateful for our presence in their lives.

The real life we actually do live seems so far from anything we ever dreamed that we are sure that somehow we missed God's life. We get trapped mentally. As one person I recently shared with about these things put it, "how many of us, when asked what kind of life we want, truly desire a mediocre life? Do we ever pray to God, crying out to Him saying, "GOD, PLEASE GIVE ME A MEDIOCRE LIFE!" I really doubt it. So why do we live a mediocre life and label it fantastic to make ourselves feel better?"


When I have started to feel like this I know I do not do my best in my work, relationships with God or others and most of all my own walk with God. I see resentment as a formidable enemy to my soul.

Yet I have come to understand that God's greatest work in my life will be done in the smallest, seemingly insignificant acts of my life when they are done with a right attitude.

You need not think to long to understand what I am saying. God wants us to reflect his love and character to the world. When we resent the things we have to do we do anything but reflect him.

Ever been served by a person who resented their job? Even if they were extremely talented, skilled or intelligent their resentment stole their success because they did not do their work with passion or pleasure.

On the other hand the one who served you with a passion for their task,  real interest in you and a commitment to serving you, even if they were not as skilful as the ones who resented their work will always be a success to you. 

For sure it takes both passion and skill to do a job well but it is interesting that it will most likely be the one who does not allow resentment to poison their hearts who will continually seek to build their skill. 

Most of all what a waste of our lives it is to do anything we do with low level resentment. The continual muttering that goes on inside, the weariness of hours spent hating what we do, the feeling that our lives are being wasted one little bit at a time, it is like water board torture. 

I have found that the remedy the scripture gives me today is one "how" to keep myself free of this curse of internal decay through resentment of my daily life's tasks.

..... be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father;

God gave us song to continually bless Him. He gave it to us to keep a focus on the goodness of His life in us. He gave it to communicate the joy of knowing Him to each other. I work on having a song in my heart all day long. It may be from the worship service.

This week one of our worship leaders sang a wonderful song and she has sang it to me for the rest of the week as I over and over join her in worship. Now I don't mean she has been actually singing to me but I have purposefully remembered the song all week. It has brought joy as I intentionally brought it to mind. As I did she sang it again to me. I have sang with her in my heart. I have done this simple practice for years and it has always brought me away from resentment into a wide place of thanksgiving.

For me thanksgiving is the key that unlocks all the promises of God. I learned years ago that when I found my soul in a place of ungratefulness it would not be long until resentment, lust, envy, pride, jealousy or discontentment would be invading my soul. I have found that when I simply return to giving thanks in what ever situation I find myself that soon the joy of heaven overtakes me.

For me one of the most wonderful ways to express thanksgiving is in singing either out loud or in my heart....

2 Samuel 22:50 “ Therefore I will give thanks to You, O LORD, among the nations, And I will sing praises to Your name.

Psalm 7:17 I will give thanks to the LORD according to His righteousness And will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Psalm 18:49 Therefore I will give thanks to You among the nations, O LORD, And I will sing praises to Your name.

Psalm 30:4 Sing praise to the LORD, you His godly ones, And give thanks to His holy name. . . . 12 That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

Psalm 33:2 Give thanks to the LORD with the lyre; Sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings.


Psalm 57:9 I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to You among the nations.

Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with song And magnify Him with thanksgiving.

Psalm 92:1 . . . It is good to give thanks to the LORD And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;

Psalm 107:22 Let them also offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, And tell of His works with joyful singing.

Psalm 108:3 I will give thanks to You, O LORD, among the peoples, And I will sing praises to You among the nations.


Psalm 138:1 . . .  I will give You thanks with all my heart; I will sing praises to You before the gods.
 
Psalm 147:7 Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving; Sing praises to our God on the lyre,


Isaiah 51:3 Indeed, the LORD will comfort Zion; He will comfort all her waste places. And her wilderness He will make like Eden, And her desert like the garden of the LORD; Joy and gladness will be found in her, Thanksgiving and sound of a melody.
 
1 Thessalonians 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Leonard. I really needed to be reminded of this today.