Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Heaven is Now!

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might 20 which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
Ephesians 1:18-21 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

After Jesus was resurrected he went to heaven and is presently seated at the right hand of the majesty of God. His position there is far above the effects of this life. He lives in an eternal union with God. Nothing on this earth can harm him. Nothing on this earth can take away his joy in God. Nothing on this earth can take him from peace. He lives in the perpetual reality of heaven.

Yet the astounding thing is that the Bible says that in his being there we also are there.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:4-7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

We are told that Jesus has been raised up from death. We are told that we have been raised from death as well. We are told that Jesus is presently seated in heavenly places. We are told that we are also presently seated with him in heavenly places.

While it is true that one day we will pass from this physical life and never again face the ravages of sin in us or others. Yet in a very real way we need not wait in eager expectation for the fullness of heaven in our lives. It is already here.

I know that sounds a bit strange and in one way it has to be experienced to be understood. So all my communication is for is to encourage you to believe what the Bible says.

In the quietness before dawn today I began my day with my creator. I have done this most of my life. On many of those days I have known the reality that Paul spoke of in our two scriptures we read before. In fact there have been times where I felt I was being, like he was, caught up into heaven. In those moments I have understood, though in a limited way, the bliss of an eternal relationship. I have found myself in a place here and now where I felt heaven was so close that I could just step over into it. At times I have felt I did step over and lived to tell of it.

One particular day it was as if I was on its outskirts. I was hearing a music that was infused into my whole being. It was the most wonderful sound I had ever known. An amazing part of this vision was the light. As I looked around there were no shadows. The light was perfect and surrounded everything. But the most wonderful thing is exactly what I have always known when I have experienced the reality of already being seated in heavenly places - a peace, joy and love like nothing that could ever exist on this planet.

Far above...... the scripture says. Far above everything that steals and destroys. far above hatred, strife and rebellion. Far above the cares, distractions and sorrows of this vale of tears. Far above my own sin.

I have not had to die physically for this reality to invade my soul.

I will more fully know it one day and what a glorious day that will be.

But today I can know it as well. I am with him already. Heaven is now.

No comments: