Monday, April 12, 2010

He Lives Forever to make Intercession for Us!

Hebrews 7:25Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Yesterday during the service our youth worship team was singing a song that has the lyrics - I'll go where you go, I'll say what you say, I'll pray what you pray. A member of the congregation came to me and said he was having a hard time understanding how we can pray what He prays. He said. "God doesn't pray to Himself does He?"

First let me say that I commended this person for not wanting to confess with his lips in song something that is not accurate biblically. I have changed the words of some worship songs because of this. What we proclaim needs to be accurate biblically. There is great power in the spoken word to plant things in our minds. It is even greater when it is sung. 

I was delighted to tell him that Jesus does indeed continue to pray for his beloved church. I found such delight this morning as I continued to meditate on that thought. Jesus is interceeding before the Father for us. What an encouraging thought. We are so cared for by the Lord that he continually talks about us to Father God. I can imagine a few things that he might be saying right now. 

Carie and I often talk about our children. Those conversations are always filled with a desire that they succeed. We talk about the futures we can envision for them, what our concerns are for the building of those futures and we often pray that God will help them and help us to help them. Our love for them is right there when we are talking about their shortcomings and failures as well. We are constantly sharing a desire for their success. I am sure that these are the same kinds of conversations that go on in heaven between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. 

So when we say we will pray what he prays we enter into that heavenly conversation. 

Another way that we pray what he prays is by allowing the Holy Spirit to pray through us:

Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;  

When we are united with the Lord the Holy Spirit joins with our Spirit to create a new being.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1 Corinthians 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

In this wonderful union, if we allow him, the Spirit of God will actually pray through us:

Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

What a wonderful provision! As we open our souls and bodies and are surrendered to the Spirit of God he prays perfect prayers through us.

How often can that happen.... always!

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.


If God has told us to pray without ceasing we know that the Holy Spirit will always be ready to pray through us. All we have to do is open our mouth and let him fill it.

Today I am so encouraged to know that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are praying for the worldwide body of Christ. That includes you and me. I am so blessed when I hear from someone that they are praying for me. It gives me confidence. How much more that we are being prayed for both in heaven by our savior directly going to the Father and here on earth as the Holy Spirit births prayers through each other that are perfect.

No comments: