Thursday, April 15, 2010

He is no Fool....

Mark 8:35 "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.

I continued to meditate this morning on the wonderful fact that having God's presence in our lives is the best life we can ever know. What we gain by moving beyond ourselves is life itself. As thought about this I remembered something Jim Elliot said years ago.


On October 28, 1949 he wrote "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

On January 8, 1956 he was killed, along with four of his friends, by the Aucas who they were seeking to evangelize.


I have heard his wife Elizabeth Elliot say that had these five wonderful men been more cautious in their approach to the tribe that they would most likely be alive today. She would know the real cost of the failed mission. She and her daughter eventually made contact with the tribe and successfully finished what Jim and his companions began. Her own life's work centered around Jim through her writings of his biography and his Journals which he meticulously wrote for most of his life.


But had he been more cautious I would have never known him.

I have read everything there is to read about Jim. He was one of those who I looked to as a role model. His life deeply influenced me at a pivotal time of my life. Reading his journals planted within me a passion to give my life fully to God. I saw in Jim's life a fully surrendered soul. That was and continues to be my heart's commitment.

Jesus said what Jim said years before. he said it in a parable about treasure and a pearl.

Matthew13:44 "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. 45 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

We cannot keep our lives but we can exchange them for his life.

We can give our lives for Jesus, the kingdom and the gospel's sake and obtain his life forever.

Losing our lives for him is the only way to find life.


If you would like to read about Jim, "Through Gates of Splendor" is his biography. "The Journals of Jim Elliot" are his spiritual journals.

No comments: