Saturday, April 30, 2011

Who did Jesus say he was?

Who is Yeshua (Jesus)?

"BEHOLD, THE VIRGIN SHALL BE WITH CHILD AND SHALL BEAR A SON, AND THEY SHALL CALL HIS NAME IMMANUEL," which translated means, "GOD WITH US.”

Matthew 1:23

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."  C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)

The question of Yeshua’s (Jesus’) identity is one of the crucial core understandings of the purpose God has for all people - Jews and Gentiles.

Let us look at who Yeshua (Jesus) said he was.

He said he was Humble and Gentle

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. Matthew 11:29

He said he was the Door of the Sheepfold

So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8"All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

John 10:7-9

He said he was the Good Shepherd

"I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”

John 10:11

He said he was the Light of the World

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.” John 8:12

He said he was the Bread of God that came from heaven

“For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

John 6:33

He said he was the Vine.

"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.

John 15:5

He said he was the way and the truth and the life.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.”

John 14:6 a

He said he was the Resurrection and the Life

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,”

John 11:25

He said he was the Messiah

The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us.” 26 Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am He.”

John 4:25-28

Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” 61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?” 62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Mark 14:60-62

He said he was sent by God to save the world.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16-19

He said he was the Lord

Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for 14 If I then, your so I am. Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

John 13:13-14

He said he was the Son of God

And they all said, "Are You the Son of God, then?" And He said to them, "Yes, I am.”

Luke 22:70

He said he had the same authority to give life as the Father had.

Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.

John 5:25-26

do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, “You are blaspheming,” because I said, “I am the Son of God”?

John 10:36

He said he existed before his birth.

"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.” 59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple. John 8:56-59

He said he was the only way to the Father

No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 14:6

He said he and the Father were one

He said he came forth from the Father

"I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father.” John 16:28

"I and the Father are one."

John 10:30

He said that he perfectly represented the Father so that when you saw Jesus you saw the Father.

Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time?” Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, “Show us the Father”? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

John 14:8-10





No comments: